Swinomish man dies during ceremony in longhouseThursday, February 18, 2010
A 28-year-old member of the Swinomish Tribe of Washington died on Tuesday while participating in a ceremony at a longhouse.
According to news reports, Romain James died of hyperthermia, or overheating of the body. He had been in the longhouse for less than two days, said Chairman Brian Cladoosby.
"It just happened so quick," Cladoosby told The Seattle Times. "Our condolences go out to the family."
In 1998, a 17-year-old boy died after 10 days in a longhouse. No charges were filed in connection with the incident.